Monday, January 02, 2006

Daily Devotion - making art daily! Day One.



I just joined a group committed to make art daily for a year. You can read more about the group and join if you go to the Daily Devotion Yahoo group.

My first day'y project was inspired by the bookmarkers my friend Amy made for me last month, I decided to make some myself for my first project. Each one has something on the back too. I made quite a few more than pictured here, this is just a sample.

One thing I like about the bookmarkers, I think I will make more throughout the year, because it is just a small amount of materials, but it gives you the opportunity to try out new things/experiment and have something to show for it too. I stamped, drew, digitally altered my own photos, and played to my heart's content!

3 Comments:

Blogger Dale Anne Potter said...

GREAT JOB on the bookmarks!!!

2:56 PM  
Blogger gabriella travaline said...

Hi Laurie! I LOVE the idea of the daily devotion group! But I wanted to ask u if u have heard of "atc's". It seems like something u would be totally into!! U described the bookmarks as something u liked to do because it is a relatively small canvas and it gives u the opportunity to try out new idea's and just have fun without the commitment that larger and more involved art projects require. That's why atc's r so much fun!! They're artist trading cards.There's dozens of groups on the internet. I belong to a few Yahoo atc groups.Basically they r small pieces of art that we create to trade.They r only 3.5 inches by 2.5 inches- the size of a playing card and u can use any medium u want!Kinda like the bookmarks!U can trade them one on one or join a themed swap that another member or moderator hosts.The themes r limitless. Anything from "abstract art" to "vintage" to "cats" to "your fave season". Then u create around 5 cards in that theme,mail them to the host and she mails u 5 back from 5 other participating artists. Its a great way to learn new idea's!!Its a very addictive hobby.Especially when that art starts coming in the mail! I'm guessing u might already know about them,but I've never seen u mention them...well, if you're interested I'll tell u about some of the groups I'm in!One is a mini atc group!Only 1.5in by 2.5in! Its a great challenge!This is one LONG comment!Lovely bookmarks by the way!!!!

6:13 PM  
Blogger Lin said...

GREAT JOB! I LOVE collaging, sketching, art-ing ... wish I had more time to do more of it! I like the idea of a group for encouraging a daily commitment to doing something arty ...!

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home